Friday, May 27, 2011

Finished Project: Horai Stole

 Horai Stole
Size made: 17" x 60"
Craft: Knit 

Materials
Needle used: US 10 (6.0 mm)
Yarn used: Schaefer Yarn Company
Color: Thistle
Yardage Used: 530 Yards

Project Details and Feedback
Duration of Project: March 17th to April 26th, 2011
 Modifications: For this I used a Light Fingering weight yarn instead of the called for lace yarn. Because of that I did not hold the yarn double and just knitted it as called for. 

Make this pattern again? Yes, definitely! I really loved making this and I'm super happy with the results.  Everyone that sees this loves it and can't resist touching it (even non-knitters/crocheters).  I have also been really inspired by this stitch.  I have been wondering if another simple stitch would look this lovely if done in lace yarn with this big of needle.

Final thoughts/ recommendations: I definitely recommend this pattern, especially for beginning lace knitters. I really love how the designer created a bunch of different types of styles from this pattern. This pattern as been used as (in addition to the scarf) a triangle shawl, a snood and  someone even made this into a Gilet (a kind of cardigan).  I am obviously not the only one inspired by this simple pattern!

I think the best part of this pattern is that it looks lovely in all yarns, even multicolored yarn.
Like this, this , this and this.

 What I learned/practiced in this pattern:  I realized I need to be a bit more conscious of my gauge. I think that this pattern as a finished project is so forgiving but I feel that I should work on being more precise. Some parts I was a looser knitter.  I think that this also is due to my different projects going on all at once. I'm interested to see how much better it will be when I focus on only this project and give it all of my attention.
 
Love, 
LeeAnn 



p.s. I want to thank mommy for taking the lovely pictures! 
(taken at Pismo Beach, California)

7 comments:

Julie said...

That's such a pretty wrap!! I've been eyeing that pattern as well, the stitch looks so different and interesting. Love your FO!

jamie said...

That is gorgeous! I haven't attempted making something with lace weight yarn yet. I'm afraid I'll get bored and never finish it! I love all your shawls!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, perhaps I can find something like it for crochet.

Anonymous said...

absolutely lovely!
xxxooo mommy

LeeAnn Purtha said...

Thank you, Thank you all!!! =]
I'm very happy with this result too.

I've been thinking of what could be the equivalent to it in crochet and here it is!
~I believe the absolute closest crochet-look-alike to this pattern is the Solomon's knot. This is the best free pattern of the Solomon's knot that I could find: (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/solomons-knot-shawl). If you just do this in lace weight or similar sized yarn you will get the nice lacy look. This will make a triangle shawl though. If you want a rectangular shawl then here is another free pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/manhattan-or-night-shawl). I prefer how the first one looks, personally, but you can mix and match the patterns to your own preference!

Here are other crochet shawls that look nice and lacy:
~ http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sherbet-wrap (free)
~ http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chale-everlasting

I hope this helps and inspires! =]

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crocus-bud-crocheted-shawl

Kathy said...

thanks for taking time to write this. I'm considering doing this in silk thread as my wedding shawl. Yours is quite lovely

LeeAnn Purtha said...

Thanks Kathy!

I hope my blog post helped you at all! it was a fun project! I'm actually making another one right now.

Happy Knitting!

Love,
LeeAnn